Sunday, January 11, 2015

Midi Medieval Buckler Rings

We went and saw the final installment of the Hobbit the other day.
May I just say, Tolkien is one of the few authors that I truly admire. The world he has created feels so real, and it did for me long before Peter Jackson made it so.
Inspired by that film, I created these:
 

I'm calling them Buckler Rings. The Buckler was a small, round shield that could be hung from the belt and was most often used in hand-to-hand combat.
Medieval Heraldic images are sawn from even tinier shield shapes and soldered onto the hammered copper. The bands are riveted on. I wanted the ring to look beat up and weathered, as if it had been dug from an Arthurian archaeology site so there's plenty of texture and a dark patina.
 
The Tree symbol in this form, with branches and bare trunk represents growth and new life, a starting over.
 


The outline of the antlers represents strength and fortitude.
 

 
Finally, the Fleur-de-lis, while being the Royal symbol of France, also signifies purity or loyalty.
 

The best part?
They're Midis. So when you wear them, they have this definite armor-esque quality that will have you reaching for your sword and shield.
 


In the shop, here.
 
Fare thee well, my good ladies. 

4 comments:

  1. So cool! I love that your got yo your inspiration form The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the last Hobbit. But I definitely love the inspiration that comes from the Lord of the Rings and I used of lot of it in my leatherwork. Your rings are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so awesome! Love the explanation of each one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely, I love that you were inspired by Tolkien

    ReplyDelete