I've started making most of my rings with this open shank style that is super sturdy and comfortable to wear, and I thought I'd share with you how to make it!
1. You'll need double half-round wire that you can purchase at Rio Grande. Any gauge will do. Measure and cut a length of wire at least a half size LARGER than the ring you're creating.
2. Use your miter jig to flush up the ends.
3. Measure out a 10mm length from the exact center (find the center and measure 5mm to the left and right) and mark it off. Saw from each end of the wire until you reach the middle, leaving the 10mm section intact.
4. Separate the end pieces by pulling them apart evenly spaced and then form your band around a ring mandrel.
5. Bring the ends together until they meet and solder them shut. After you've soldered and pickled, slide the ring back onto the mandrel and shape it. If it measures too large, pull the two rings apart until you're shank measures the size you need it to.