Friday, June 28, 2013

Bezels and Backplates

I have been making things, just not a lot of things.
I'm currently working on these little Crazy Lace Agate cabs. I think I'm gonna make two rings and a tiny pendant.
I have three sisters (one of them won't wear rings) and it's high time they had some new bling.
I'm using silver and I haven't been keeping up with it lately, but rumor is that the price has dropped pretty dramatically.
 
(I've tried to educate myself on the politics of precious metals and I have a sneaky feeling that the current price is not exactly market, but I'm definitely out of my realm of expertise on that one.)
 
In case you were wondering, yes, I do cover the steel block attached to my bench pin with blue painter's tape, it cuts down on accidental marring caused by the steel and it kind of makes a grip so that I can rest things and they won't move around so easily. (VERY handy when sizing bezel wire around a cabochon.)
 

 
In other news, I'm thinking about submitting to Step by Step Wire Jewelry.
Has anyone done that?
If so, was it difficult?
I was kind of intimidated by the whole "you must take photos of your process" talk in the writer's guidelines.
 
 
I did recently have a bracelet in Stringing Magazine.
It's on page 35. Bonus points if you can spot my design without having to flip to the back!
 
(I don't really know what you'll do with the points, but ya' know...they're yours, so...)
 
I'm also wanting to submit to Belle Armoire Jewelry again. I do so love that magazine. I got the latest issue recently. (I know I'm a little late, but whatever)
I'm always just enamored with the photography and the level of difficulty of some of the projects. It's one of the few magazines that I feel really shows off a technique more so than just a specific piece of jewelry. (Not that there's anything wrong with specifics! I mean, what is beadwork but specifics?)
 
Anybody else working on magazine submissions?
I missed the deadline for Stringing, and I just saw that 101 Bracelets, Necklaces and Earrings is coming out, I did so want to have a piece in that publication, but was sick as a dog with first trimester sickness back when the guidelines came out.
 
I'll leave y'all with a picture of the little peanut.
She's gettin' so chubby!
 
 
Have a great weekend and a Happy 4th of July for my bead buddies on this side of the pond!
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. So happy to know that you are published. I think Step by Step magazine is very courteous. I submitted some thing - it was knitted wire jewelry and they do not take that. But the lady e mailed me right away asking to work on some stringing items. But then the dead line passed. Next time.

    The baby is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are looking wonderful Marcie, and yes silver has gone down rather a lot recently, the market was flooded recently hence the price drop, alas it will slowly creep up again :-(.
    Good luck with your magazine submissions, your little girl is adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcie! I sporadically submit to magazines. I am being published in the next issue of Bead Design Studio. They're fairly difficult to get a response from via email, so I never guessed they'd get back to me again. The last time they took my work was back when it was Bead Unique, but they do pay well. :-)

    The easiest magazine by far to get published in is Bead Trends. You just upload your images and description on the 25th of each month and Tatia gets in touch with you quickly if accepted. Just make sure to have everything ready by the 13th of the following month. You don't get paid, but a $20 Fire Mountain gift certificate isn't all bad, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is stunningly beautiful. What a creation :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete