Thursday, February 3, 2011

Check my motivation...again...

I posted this yesterday and never really finished my thought on it, so I deleted it, and then decided to go back to it.

Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.

William Faulkner

So, here are some ways that I'm working on just that....
- RAW - I committed to Ring-a-Week on Flickr and the challenge has been good. We'll see what this week holds.
- A Tila Design - I acquired some Tila beads last week, and my goal is to create a new design with them, something that's colorful and fun, but definitely me! (which will eventually become a tutorial)
- Margie and Me - I really like the colors on this one and each month is a challenge for sure.
- Metal - I can't buy a torch, or any really expensive equipment, but I can buy wire and alter some findings. My goal is to work more metal into my jewelry.
- Magazines - I printed off a little list of the dates for some magazines that I want to submit to, just a little reminder in the corner of my corkboard. The great thing about most magazines is that they give you a small little suggestion for your creations.


So, I'm pushing myself to be better than myself and not get bogged down by what other people are doing, and to keep doing because I enjoy the feeling of creating something new and the satisfaction of meeting a challenge head on and becoming better for it.

5 comments:

  1. I am impressed that at 5:30 am you had your day off to a good start. I am never content with past accomplishments and that is truly my driving force. I can totally relate. I would like to try those tila beads too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect post for me today. There are days when I have confidence in my designs and other days when I question them. The bottom line is stay true to yourself and create what feels right to you. Have a great day :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. There are times when I really need to focus on what I'm doing and not let others influence me, because that's when I start to loose the uniqueness in what I'm creating.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, Marcie! (But then again, when do you ever NOT write a great post! ;-) LOL)

    It's very easy to get so caught up watching what other people are doing that you lose focus on what YOU are/should be doing. Striving to be better than yourself really is the best goal to aim for. It is often easier said than done though!

    Since I opened my shop, I've found myself comparing what I'm doing to what others are doing SO much more. I know it's not healthy! I need to just keep my head down and keep doing what I love. That's why we're here, right?

    Thanks for putting me back on track, my friend :-) I can always rely on you to be the voice of reason!

    B.
    -xo-

    ReplyDelete