Saturday, November 21, 2009

Arab Inspiration

I'm home! Whew, what a trip! It's so good to be back, though. I'm tired and will probably spend today taking a couple of naps to compensate for jet lag, but I wanted to show you some photos of the last thing we saw before I left Abu Dhabi. This is the Grand Mosque (sorry about the speed sign!). It's located at the edge of the city, and it's HUGE! It is white because it is covered from top to bottom in white Grecian marble. The spires at the tops of the domes are also 14k gold.

This is a picture of the floor in the central courtyard. Also made of white marble, it is covered in these chasing vines which have been inlaid into the white marble, using..you guessed it...more marble. This time different colored marble from countries across Europe.

This is a picture of one of the tiled Turkish mosaics in the mosque. I'm standing beside it wearing the traditional black abaya that the arabic women wear.

Yet another picture of those amazing Turkish mosaics.

Well, I'm off to unpack, clean, rest and relax. Of course, you know what's next....a necklace and/or bracelet inspired by the beautiful colors and shapes that I saw while on my trip. In the meantime, there's no place like home!



1 comment:

  1. Greetings! I am so glad that you stopped by Treasures Found. I hope you will come back and visit and play along with my December challenge. We have similar loves of beads!

    I am so excited for your trip to Dubai! What a contrast in cultures, that picture of the bedouin hut and the skyline. Great inspiration for your jewelry too! Looking forward to seeing what you do with such wonderful cultural inspiration.

    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete