Monday, September 15, 2014

Production Mode Part Deux

I told y'all that I signed up for a show, right?
Did I also mention that I'm a bit nervous and I have no clue as to what I'm doing?
 
I honestly haven't heard from the organizers whether or not I got in, but I'm plowing ahead as though I did mostly because if I don't I won't be able to have a good stock when show day rolls around.
 
To that end, let me show you what I've been working on:
North Carolina necklaces. I'm planning on taking about a dozen of these with me. Some in college colors, but others in some funky shades that are just fun to wear. These still need their chains.
 

Feathers!
I've cranked these babies out over the past week or so and plan to have about a dozen more of these made up.
Here's where y'all come in.
I'm partial to the bright kind of funky colors seen in this photo:

But I also like the warmer fall tones in these feathers.
Which do you like more? What would you be more likely to purchase? 

 
I've also been working on some birdies.
 
 
My plan is to offer a kind of "you pick" with the birdies and feathers. I've purchased some ball chain in a few different colors and I think I'll just lay out the pendants and allow the customers to choose what color chain they would like with their pendant, that way they can have a hand in the final creation of their piece.
 
Does that sound like something that would interest you if you were there?
 
Also, remember the bangles?
These are the front and back of the current collection and I need to make at least 10 more of these. I'm trying to make them in medium and large sizes, using my mandrel as a guide.
I wouldn't want someone to miss out because the bangle doesn't fit them!



 Also, I'm planning on carrying a few simple rings.
The show itself has a price cap and you can't sell anything over $250 so when it comes to the sterling, I'm planning on making things that I can sell for right around $50.
 
Variscite:
 
 
Moonstone:


I know I need some things that are going to be showpieces.
Rings and pendants that are a bit larger and one of a kind.
I finished this piece up a couple of days ago, but honestly, I don't know if I can bring myself to part with it!
Laguna Agate in sterling on a feather band.
 




I know, right, what's the point of a show if I keep all the merch?
Eh.
So, here's where my loyal readers come in:
 
The show is a month before Christmas meaning that most people are going to be in full Christmas shopping mode.
What are some things that you look for when shopping for jewelry at shows?
I know earrings sell super well, but I don't feel comfortable making earrings when I NEVER wear them and don't really have a feel for weight, size, etc....
 
I feel like I'd be misrepresenting myself making something that I wouldn't wear.
 
Also, in terms of my booth, what are some things that attract you to one seller vs. another?
I've been sifting through ideas trying to put together what I want to do and I'd love to hear from those of you who shop at shows, but who also have done booths in the past.
What kind of advice you got for me?
 
Thanks to all of you who read, I know sometimes you can't comment, (I understand we're all pressed for time), but I do see the little view counter and know that you're reading. I hope that you come across something here that sparks your creativity or gives you a smile for the day.
That's what it's all about. 

2 comments:

  1. All of your items are beautiful! I predict this show will go very well! I like the funky colored feathers as well, but I might tend to buy an autumn colored one because I have more clothes in those colors. I LOVE the "you pick" idea and that would definitely appeal to me at a show. I am most attracted to booths that have "old" looking displays - old wood boxes etc. I like old stuff. It speaks to me of well made and lasting. That's what your pieces look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you've been making. I love all of the feathers, I don't have a preference between the two groups. Your rings are lovely and I love the bangles too. So glad you are making larger ones. I have larger wrists and fingers and there is nothing more disappointing than finding a ring or bracelet that you love and trying it on, only to find that it doesn't fit. When I am shopping at a show, the display draws me in, but when it comes to jewelry and beads, I tend to look at each booth enough to see if it fits me and I go from there.

    ReplyDelete