Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Changes...

I've been spending a lot more time outside in the little work shed, late at night, with the deer that I can hear rustling the leaves in the trees out back, and the creepy crawlies that find their way into my workspace under doors and through little holes.


My seed beads sit quietly neglected indoors while I'm away pounding, sawing, hammering, heating...


On Saturday night, it all came together perfectly, and I completed my first ring made with stone and copper and earth elements.
It was just a practice stone so it's a little knicked and banded and a tad irregular, but it's not the quality of the materials that makes this so important...


It's the feeling of accomplishment and pride in watching it all come together, and being able to do it on my own.
And no, it's not silver and yes, I wore it all day and ended up with a little tinge of brussel sprout green around my finger...

but it's okay, because I made the brussel sprout green ring and will probably make three or four more before I decide to go in for the kill and buy silver. (or I'll wait too long and it'll be $60 an ounce)


Either way, I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to learn something new and I can't wait to see what else lies in wait to be created from my hands.

In the meantime, my sisters and I have been on a little cab shopping spree, so you will see a little more metal and stone around here and probably a tad less seedies (but, shhh, don't tell them that!)

13 comments:

  1. Your right Marcie - it DID come together perfectly. What a beautiful ring Congrats on this new skill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ring is absolutely beautiful...and I too would wear it with pride...such an accomplishment! Don't know if I will ever get into metal working, but I CAN see myself doing lammpwork and working with glass, sometime in the not to distant future. I look forward to seeing more of your creations.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! i love the bezel and the detail on the band! your seed beads are supporting you all the way!!! this is obvious by the beauty of your ring. mine sabotage my wire/metal endeavors. they are jealous little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have to say WOW! you are doing so well with your metal working! your ring is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcie, that design is wonderful. I love how you drilled and sawed the design in the band and the contrast between the silver bezel and the copper. I go a bit green with copper as well. Clear nail varnash has worked for me on rings. Liberally applied and often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ring! You are doing beautiful work! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ring came out gorgeous. It will be exciting to see what else comes out of this new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work! And it can only get better ;-)

    I've started to use gold in my work and was horrified to see that the price has jumped to over $1700 an ounce! Don't wait to buy some silver...I think it's heading in the same direction as gold, so do it, do it, DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo Marcie! The ring is beautiful and as your first ring, it will always hold that special place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Belinda, just jump into it! That ring is something to be proud of! And there's such a great journey ahead of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I would totally put up with the brussel sprout finger for this one :-) What a fantastic set of skills you have.

    ReplyDelete