Monday, December 13, 2010

The Pink Tablecloth and a Cubist Master

I thought I'd give you guys a little inspiration for the Margie and Me finals by digging a little deeper into the artist behind the inspiration paintings. For the first installment I've chosen to go with our last artist.
Georges Braque.



Born in the late 19th century in France, Braque began painting at an early age and studied at private art academies and also the Ecole de Beaux-Arts in Le Havre.
His earliest works were in the impressionist style, but as he grew so did his work.

Le viaduc de l'Estaque

His work began to reflect a more geometric design, and with influence from Picasso and Cezanne, Cubism was born with Braque being one of the leaders of this movement. 
 The Cubist style is characterized by the sharp lines and differing perspectives found in the portrayal of the painting's subject.

Still Life with Mandolin

When I think about creating with this color palette, I have to take into account where the palette comes from. My eye is immediately drawn to the way in which Braque uses a dark background to make the table setting jump away from the painting.
I also like his use of soft lines, most Cubist paintings are sharp and harsh, but Braque really makes use of the curves of the tablecloth and the vase to bring softness to the painting.
When I sit down to create my Margie and Me I try to not only use the colors as inspiration, but also the shapes, and I really like Braque's idea of mixing the sharp lines with the curvy lines on the table.
I'm also in love with the tiny punches of mustard that he uses in this painting.

I hope you're inspired by one of the palettes, and for the rest of the month, I'll pick a different painting to showcase and hopefully get the creativity flowing!

Okay, last thing, the sale item for the day is my Mosaic Tile Necklace. This one is ready to ship and if you purchase it before 3:00 pm, I can drop it in the mail for you today! Enjoy your Monday!


1 comment:

  1. That is a nice idea inspiring us with a bit of background info on all these palettes and where they come from. I chose Titian the Venetian, but already wondering where it'll take me.

    ReplyDelete