Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Passage of Time

Back in December I joined the Round Rabbit's book club. The idea was to read a book, The House of Riverton, Kate Morton, during the month of January and then create something that had to do with the theme of the book or that you were inspired to create from the book.
Well, here's my creation...

I call it Frozen in Time. I was so overwhelmed with the theme of time as I read the book. It was as if it were a character in the book. It was almost as if the clock were a silent antagonist and every member of the house was subject to its whims. I watched the characters and even the house change, grow, and lose innocence as time passed.
So, I created a bracelet that reflects this idea of time. I used little clock components to make miniature clocks whose hands spin freely, almost kind of the way that time passes of its own accord and we can't control it. The two cogs connecting the clocks are wrapped in jasper because I wanted to put stone in their for age and durability. The clasp is made of another open cog and the minute hand of a watch.
I really enjoyed reading the book, it really made me think about the fleetingness of a moment and to enjoy every moment that I live in . I want to look back at my life like Grace did and be able to tell a happier story. One that was full of happy beginnings and endings and full of decisions that filled the people around me with joy. Thanks to Nancy for organizing the book club and I'm looking forward to the next go around.



7 comments:

  1. WOWZA! I love this! I love that you were inspired by the book. I would like to read it after this post. I wanted to participate but knew that I couldn't commit to getting it done. Really wish I had. Hope that Nancy does that again! I think that what you have made really tells a wonderful story and is a great reminder that time is precious.
    Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's got a wonderful Steampunk feel to it. Love the mix of metals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You captured the theme beautifully! I adore this bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bracelet! I love the way all the components work together. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I found your blog through an Etsy treasury and think your work is lovely.
    What a coincidence - I'm about to start reading this book. It looked very intriguing.
    I'm crazy about rocks and stone and really love the backgrounds you're using to display your pieces. What kind of stone is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! I love that you were inspired by a novel!

    ReplyDelete