Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Almost Home

Wow. I know it's been a long time since I've posted anything, and I'm sure you're starting to wonder what happened to me. Well, I'm on a vacation...of sorts. I'm visiting my dad. He works overseas with a contract company from the U.S. I'm in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates and I've gotten to do and see things I never imagined I would do. Yesterday we went on a desert safari and almost lost our lunch in an all-terrain vehicle as our driver took us up and over the largest sand dunes I've ever seen. This is a picture of me during our 5 min. break. The sand was incredible, it felt like powder.

This is Dubai. EVERYTHING is under construction in Dubai. I don't know if you can see it, but all the buildings have a crane on the top which makes them look like little insects. There are very few finished projects in Dubai, and the ones that are finished have roads that aren't.

I think this picture is very interesting as well. It's a picture of a traditional beduoin hut with the city skyline in the background. It's a very here's-where-we've-been-and-where-we're-going type picture. This places has changed A LOT in the last 40 years since it was established as a nation and it's been interesting to learn about its past and see its future. I do believe that the people here are trying to make something different of themselves and not fall into the stereotype that the rest of the world has of Muslim countries.
However, I can't help but look around me and think that they might have bitten off more than they can chew. I was surprised to learn that Dubai with all its construction, The Palms, The World, Dubai Ski, The Burj Al-Arab, the Burj Tower does not have the flow of oil money that Abu Dhabi has and when the economy started to fall apart a year ago, Dubai suffered the same collapse as the rest of the world. Unsustainable building at a completely unsustainable rate.
I suppose it's not my job to worry about it. I should just enjoy my time here seeing a different place and learning about a different culture, and so that's what I'm doing. It definitely has been interesting and I leave tomorrow to go home. And, I'm ready, I miss my sisters, my mom, my niece and nephew, my fiance and I'm looking forward to seeing them again. I hope you enjoy these pictures and I'll post some more when I get home. Ahh, home. :)

2 comments:

  1. How interesting and what a wonderful opportunity to experience this culture. I especially like your photo of the Bedoin home against the sky scrapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola guapa!espero que lo estes pasando de maravillas,que fot mas chula la del desierto!
    besitos desde espaƱa!

    ReplyDelete